Farm Girl

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Avila Beach Lighthouse Tour


Avila Beach is a California paradise. Generally the waters are as aqua blue, if not bluer, than my picture details. If you ever have the chance to go to Avila, take it. If you ever have the chance to take the free hiking tour to the historical lighthouse, it is your funeral. 

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating just a wee bit. But it is a long hike, with steep uphill and downhill sections on a crumbling path that does border a cliff or two during the journey. Not to mention that they have you sign a waiver for each person to go on the tour, that relieves PG&E (for they own the property) of any liability in case of injury or death. Hmmmm. You'd think that this would have warned me of the unpleasantness of the journey. 

The upside of the trip was that there was a lot of historical trivia learned on the tour. For example: Smith Island held five families on it when Avila was considered a whaling village. In case it isn't obvious, in its above picture, Smith Island looks like it would contain maybe 2 to 2.5 of a generously sized house today. 

The lighthouse itself  was  marvelous, despite it being a brief tour. It was made in the Victorian style and volunteers are undergoing its renovation. So far they have been doing a beautiful job. 

One of the things mentioned right before we entered was that there were tales that the basement might be haunted by a child. This piqued my curiosity as I am an adamant fan of Ghost Hunters, (not that I believe it nor disbelieve it, I just think it is interesting and hilarious). Unfortunately upon my seeing all 10 square feet of the basement, I did not experience anything from the paranormal realm.

I left the lighthouse and went outside to have lunch, hopefully spot a whale migrating, and to wait for the return hike back to the parking lot.

Another positive point: the generous hike allowed for a generous serving of ice cream  when I returned home. It restored my good spirits right away, as who can help but smile when Chocolate Malted Krunch comes a knockin' on a cake cone?

No comments:

Post a Comment